Rewrite of Solo Vee Rules

Moderator: Dietmar

Re: Rewrite of Solo Vee Rules

Postby qreshadow » January 31st, 2012, 8:48 pm

I have been told, a top running 493, 494, or 593 Rotax powered F500 jetted properly puts out about 102-105 HP at the crank. However, if the CVT clutches are not tuned properly, things can vary HP delivered to the wheels quite a bit and those crank figures may not translate to a real world accurate gage of performance at the wheels when comparing crank HP with a gearbox where HP transmittal to the wheels is more finite. The percentage loss at the wheels could be greater with a CVT then a gearbox.

So, although it might be fun exercise to compare crank HP of a Solo Vee and an F500, that does not mean that those figures tell a perfectly accurate story :lol: .

That being said, and as I stated before, I'm all for getting Vees competitive in either FM or CM.
qreshadow

Postby vreihen » February 1st, 2012, 7:35 am

Lynn wrote:A top FF Kent road race engine is 124 hp at the crank. Most road racers are around 120. I'd guess that most of the CM Fords are a bit less. FF minimum weight is 1100 lbs with driver.

1100 lbs / 124 hp = 8.87 lbs/hp
vreihen

Postby Vernon Maxey » February 3rd, 2012, 11:39 am

Just sent my letter to the SEB, lets move to CM.
Vernon Maxey

Postby 77fmod » February 5th, 2012, 7:03 pm

I'm torn... I really want to be able to get on top of those 500's but maybe a move to C/Mod might be a good one. You have to consider that the top running 500's are beating them consistently.. I was at a test event last year before all my troubles and I was running comparable to Don Elzinga. It was just a calculation though as he was leaving out a short lalom in order to amke a tight corner. I wasn't and was just a second behind.. I suppose I will add my voice to the request for class change.

Hey, what is that email address again. My computer crashed this winter and I no longer have it..

Until later,

Johnny B.
77fmod

Postby qreshadow » February 5th, 2012, 8:24 pm

qreshadow

Postby 77fmod » February 13th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Thanks much for the address.... I believe since we do not know whether a move to C/Mod would be allowed, we should continue to discuss and submit our suggestions to improve our cars to run against the 500's..

Anyone up for it? How many are even visiting any longer?

Anyway, after finding some pics of that winning car last year, I can honestly say that the nose did not seem to solve the push in the car and the diffser has to be totally inefficient. Seems to me that those guys may have st used those attempts at arrow to disguise a monster motor..

I'll tell you one thing, if I get there thi year I will be putting the money down to see the guts of that thing! Ive done it before and was proven wrong but if someone doesn't step up now and then... Well, let's just say that there is a lot of power untapped in our motors.... For Christ's sake, a roadracer has to tear down after any major win... LOL! Okay, Okay. I'll get off the soapbox...

C'mon.. Let's hear all the ideas..
77fmod

Postby Vernon Maxey » February 14th, 2012, 12:03 am

How about bolting on two webers on the 1915 ?
Vernon Maxey

Postby qreshadow » February 14th, 2012, 9:12 am

77fmod wrote:Anyway, after finding some pics of that winning car last year, I can honestly say that the nose did not seem to solve the push in the car and the diffser has to be totally inefficient. Seems to me that those guys may have st used those attempts at arrow to disguise a monster motor.

Well......it's about time someone questioned the viability of those items 8). You know what magicians do don't you? They get you to look at their right hand while they do things with their left :lol:.

The theory is correct down to the exhaust pointing down onto the diffuser, 'cept all those goodies do not come close to making a 2 1/2 second lead :roll: If you're looking, look somewhere else :lol: .
qreshadow

Postby RFickes » February 14th, 2012, 9:21 am

I agree with Vernon. Twin Webers would be a good first step if we can not change to Cmod. I would also like to see the SEB allow us to up the compression to 10:1. But since there are so few of us let's ALL start writing those letters to the SEB.
Thanks, Richard
RFickes

Postby RFickes » February 14th, 2012, 10:00 am

One last thought (I had a senior moment)..........I would also like to see the SEB allow a the 1915 engines to use the heads with 40 x 35.5 valves. I am having trouble finding good 39x32 heads and the 40x35.5 heads are readly available and cheaper.
Thanks again. Richard
RFickes

Postby Vernon Maxey » February 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Sent my recomendation in for two webers. The heads would be good too.
Vernon Maxey

Postby vreihen » February 14th, 2012, 8:53 pm

77fmod wrote:I'll tell you one thing, if I get there thi year I will be putting the money down to see the guts of that thing! Ive done it before and was proven wrong but if someone doesn't step up now and then...

I thought that I read someplace (SCCAforums?) that they were selling the bare frame of that car? If I wasn't cracking up or confusing it with another car, you may never get the chance to see it in person.....
vreihen

Postby qreshadow » February 14th, 2012, 11:22 pm

vreihen wrote:
77fmod wrote:I'll tell you one thing, if I get there thi year I will be putting the money down to see the guts of that thing! Ive done it before and was proven wrong but if someone doesn't step up now and then...

I thought that I read someplace (SCCAforums?) that they were selling the bare frame of that car? If I wasn't cracking up or confusing it with another car, you may never get the chance to see it in person.....

Yes, they are selling the bare frame. So, you might ask, why might they be doing that and not sell the entire car? Well, if I was a betting person, I would put my money down on a new chassis with a 1 inch tunnel down the middle. \

The rules allow for a 1 inch deviation in the belly pan from, basically, any two points along that belly pan and some enterprising folks have thought about building a tunnel for their existing cars by adding a false bottom. But if you build a frame from scratch, it is much better to put that tunnel up into the car by recessing it in the frame.

Anyway, that's my guess as to the question of why :mrgreen: .
qreshadow

Postby Lynn » February 15th, 2012, 12:02 am

Twin carbs without the big valves won't work that well. And instead of twin carbs, the request should be for this.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Lynn

Postby Vernon Maxey » February 15th, 2012, 9:36 am

Twin carbs will work, but they will work better with bigger valves.
Kind of expensive injection system, don't you think?
Vernon Maxey

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Vee