Zink C4 restoration-the long term project

Moderators: Dietmar, John Deonarine

Re: Zink C4 restoration-the long term project

Postby WNYVeeRacer » January 29th, 2015, 11:29 am

George..
I haven't checked on your progress recently...... and now that I'm looking I see your photos & notes about repairing the twist in the Chassis.... That clinches it ! I 'm sure this is my old C-4.. I got knocked on my head at a race at Nelson Ledges in 1984 ( I think )... got some major repairs ( New roll hoop and some frame straightening)... but I always though things were a bit tweaked. Raced it anyhow & it worked good enough. If you have the log books going back to '84 ,you may see the tech notes after the accident.
( If you have the log books - Am I one of the prior owners??? )
Re you generator issue... when I first had the car I did run a generator (6 volt ) & recall there was an access hatch built into the firewall allowing access to the pulley nut ( as Barry notes)... later, I went to ducts to the heads... and likely redid the firewall.
That all being said... You're doing a fantastic job on the restoration and are going to have yourself a gorgeous Vintage Vee when done..
Keep posting your progress.... It's good to see
Good Luck.

Dennis Potocki
WNYVeeRacer

Postby BLS » January 29th, 2015, 12:25 pm

George,

For some reason I thought you were still in SC...

Mark's response on the Apex site seems about right. My concern about the fan housing fit is because of your issues. Since I only have an original german housing I would not know of aftermarket issues. Mark address's these and it makes sense to me. Particularly the part about "leveraging" the fan housing back. Since Dennis thinks this is a car he had, and it was run without fan housing and with replaced firewalls, you would not have the original Zink firewall with the cutout and cover over the generator pulley. That is easy to make. You just cut a round hole for clearance of the pulley and access to the pulley nut, then make a cover for that. The cover will not be flat...

I'm sure the vintage racers like Mark have probably run into all the same issues you have.

Let me know if you need anything and I'll try my best to help out. I'm looking forward to your first "race report". Good Luck!

Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Postby ajax » February 4th, 2015, 4:21 pm

George,
It is Roger again, That old Zink frame is sure looking good. My ownership when you purchased in OK. was quite short, as I took it in as a trade for labor to remove a blown motor (the one with that huge hole in the case) and prep and install a SCCA motor to vintage spec and install in the owners other Vee.

As I recall, He had originally purchased the Zink just for that motor and did a CVAR School and a couple of CVAR events until that engine blew up. If I recall the story correctly, he said he found the Zink in the Atlanta GA. area in a climate controlled garage and in with several collectible cars. Seems the owner had raced the Zink for many years, but as his old buddies dropped out, he finally lost interest and just stored the vee, keeping it just in case he ever felt the need to race again, but finally sold it. Your Zink FV ran for many years in SCCA events, but suffered only a few major up dates over the years, (that tail & nose) However the installed engine was a full SCCA national type motor and did not run a fan or generator, and had a separate oil cooler. I'm sure over the years you will find that the original roll bar has been upgraded to meet SCCA rules, with additional hoop supports added, it may even have been moved or angled back to give the driver more room, etc. That seat fuel cell, is different from the original saddle tanks supplied, along with the SCCA required roll hoop at the steering wheel. So bottom line is I would not expect any effort was considered about using the old 36HP fan shroud, or a generator of any voltage type. when it was raced over those many years. You may find you will need to cut and adjust some of the firewall supports to make it all fit back up. If the engine bolts in square with the tranny then the mounts must be correct and good. You just need to mount the generator to the fan shroud, make sure the engine pulley is dead straight to the generator pulley (when run loose, belts will fly off if not aligned!) Then just re-built the fire wall support with throttle parts as required, etc to make sure it clears the belt. Many times the fire wall is cut out to allow pulley room and a cover is added to the drivers side. Let your imagination run wild...or go see some of the Zinks running as vintage set up today, bet you will see all types of designs, and fixes for the issues you report.

Keep it up you are almost there!!!
ajax

Postby gcurl » February 25th, 2015, 11:33 am

This past weekend I went to the final CVAR race at TWS. There were about 45 vees there with a large majority being Zinks. I was able to chat with several owners and take lots of pictures that will help in getting mine back on track. Especially nice was seeing the clutch and throttle cable routings used by the various vees.
Levering the generator back gave me the room I needed for the seat belt mounts. It is still a tight fit, but I was able to test it with some old belts that came with the car.
I completed the wiring and got to watch my 5 year old son's face light up when I let him flip the ignition switch and push the starter button. Getting to see everything turn over and light up made both of us very happy. We haven't tried a test fire yet. I'm waiting on the arrival of my fuel cell and I also realized I don't have a fire extinguisher in the garage after our move. Didn't want to risk burning everything up for a test fire.
Once the weather warms up, we'll hopefully run the cables for clutch and throttle and use the aluminum my dad brought to TWS to make an upper firewall and access panel.
gcurl

Postby Dietmar » February 25th, 2015, 5:39 pm

George:

Glad to read that the generator issue has been "resolved"

Dietmar
Quixote Racing
Dietmar

Postby BLS » February 26th, 2015, 12:48 am

George,

Sounds like real progress. I hope we hear about it cranking up, and a ride around the neighborhood soon. 8)

Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Postby gcurl » July 14th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Well it has been a while, but I've been enjoying the Zink. Following through with my plan to autocross for a bit to work out any issues and have been having fun since last November. The car has been very reliable and competitive in the local C mod class.
Stripped it down in April to start the bodywork.
After quite a bit of fiberglass work and paint

Quick in-car video of the last event. Still a bit slow, but getting faster every time.
https://youtu.be/xsCwOenUstY
gcurl

Postby BLS » July 15th, 2016, 1:04 am

Looks good George! Glad to see you are getting to have some fun with it.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Postby FV80 » July 15th, 2016, 9:48 am

Nice looking restoration. Are those just transport tires, or are you ax'ing on those? If ax'ing, you really should try to find some SLICKS for it. You can probably pick up some from a road racer for little (or NO) cost and would make the car considerably faster on the course (in the right hands :mrgreen: ). You'll need to work on your "tire warming" techniques, but should move you into a faster category pretty quickly.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge, FV80
To sign up in the FV Registry for updates about SCCA Formula Vee, please go to http://www.FormulaVee.us/fvregistry_interface2/eEditor.asp?action=insert and enter the appropriate info.
FV80

Postby gcurl » July 18th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Thank you. I'm very happy with how the paint came out and how much fun the car is to drive.

Steve,
The tires one the car are the one's I'm autoxing with. What can I say, they were dirt cheap and the same dimensional size as Dunlop TDs were. I've thought about hunting for slicks (new or used) but right now I'm still feeling out the car. Each event is a chance to learn something new about adjusting myself to the car and adjusting the car to the course. Sometime soon I hope to see if anyone has takeoffs I could get affordably.

Pops was at my last event and showed me via video and walk arounds where I'm losing time on course. Oddly, while I usually look at least a 1/4 mile ahead on the street, on course I tend to focus only on the corner I'm in. I also tend to use braking compression to slow the car instead of hydraulic brakes to slow so I end up letting off much earlier in the corners than necessary.
gcurl

Previous

Return to Vintage Vee