Forged Pistons

Moderators: Dietmar, smsazzy

Re: Forged Pistons

Postby brian » June 29th, 2015, 12:18 pm

I'm afraid that isn't likely to work. By "build up" it means adding material and short of welding, which would warp the crap out of everything, I can't think of how one could do it. There is a metal spray technique used on crankshafts but it includes the extreme heat as well.

I would suggest that the Chinese/A&A sets would adequately serve most needs and actually cost less than refurbishing methods being discussed. But, even for some vintage folks, having maximum hp. has become the norm.

Off subject a bit here but the level of hard racing in vintage really concerns me. Many vintage cars, vees and others, just aren't strong enough to safely withstand a shunt at today's speeds. Seeing a driver doing 120 in a formula junior gives be the heebie jeebies.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
brian

Postby Rickydel » June 29th, 2015, 1:10 pm

There are some circle track fellas that have joined our vintage group, and they talk of an outfit that already does refurbish cylinders to bring them back to stock dimensions. I will do more research and get back to you all.

Ricky
Rickydel

Postby Rickydel » July 9th, 2015, 2:32 pm

These guys know of a shop that has done cylinders for Harleys for $275 ea.!
They "Think" the price would go down to about $100 ea for a bulk FV order.
Rickydel

Postby FV80 » July 9th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Rickydel wrote:These guys know of a shop that has done cylinders for Harleys for $275 ea.!
They "Think" the price would go down to about $100 ea for a bulk FV order.

Suspect that's out of our price range for the desired task :shock:
The Racer's Wedge, FV80
To sign up in the FV Registry for updates about SCCA Formula Vee, please send me an email or PM with your name, location (city/state), make/model of car, phone # and any other appropriate info.
FV80

Postby brian » July 9th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Harley cylinders have a lot more material to work with.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
brian

Postby Rickydel » July 10th, 2015, 6:44 am

"Suspect that's out of our price range for the desired task :shock:"

I agree. But because I brought up the subject and said I would get more details, I didn't want to leave readers hanging.

Oh well.
Rickydel

Postby sharplikestump » January 24th, 2016, 5:35 am

I can't believe there is still a push for forged pistons and o/s or reworked cylinders. Makes me question the motive(s). Unless the application is a much higher revving engine, or much higher compression, the forged pistons are not only unnecessary, but an actual disadvantage. I see no problem with ring grooves "beaten out", unless the lateral ring groove clearance was excessive at the time of the build. Furthermore, most of us engine builders know that there are unfair features that can be incorporated into forged pistons.
Enlarging the cylinders would require o/s rings which are very hard to obtain in a 77.25mm dia. IMO, any larger than that and you DO have a cc advantage. I feel that with the latest cylinders offered by AA, there is absolutely zero justification for doing so. I have yet to find a single cyl. that is .0002 out of round. They now have the same number of fins as the K/S or Mahle, are available with a phone call, are of far better metallurgy, and have what I consider to be a significant advantage in the form of not only a wider seat, but the correct base diameter for the cases that we use. No more crushed or wandering O-rings.
As it has been determined, there was insufficient interest in purchasing the required quantity of K/S cylinders. It was also determined that K/S has no interest in producing any pistons. For those that wish to purchase full sets, just pistons, or just cylinders, I am willing to break up sets, with pricing as follows:
(4) new AA pistons, pins, and stock rings.....$120. plus shpg.
(4) new late style AA cylinders.................$120. " "
Full late style AA set.............................$219. " "
Full early style AA set............................$179. " " [If for some reason you prefer these, (which I no longer do) I highly recommend they be reinforced with weld dabs on all (4) sides].
Or you can order either full set direct from AA.

I am not trying to get rich on these, as the time spent on the phone and preparing them to ship more than eats the profit. I just want it known that there are good components available. A visit to the AA website should convince you that these people know what they are doing. I really don't care who you deal with. Both AA and I generally have either set in stock.
Mike Palermo Jr.
303-838.9515
fveeguy@yahoo.com
sharplikestump

Postby sharplikestump » January 24th, 2016, 5:44 am

[quote="brian"]Some engine builder prefer to increase the clearance on new cylinders. Cylinders are delivered with usually .025 clearance between the piston diameter and the cylinder. Generally speaking, this is increased to about .045.

Brian, are you sure that you don't actually mean .0025, and .0045?
sharplikestump

Postby brian » January 25th, 2016, 5:51 pm

yea, I'm dyslexic and mess up writing numbers occasionally. Two and a half thousands to four and a half thousands.
brian

Previous

Return to Tech Tips, Rules, and Safety