New FV wannabe looking to crew

Moderator: Dietmar

Re: New FV wannabe looking to crew

Postby tiagosantos » July 22nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

SCCA Regional racing in the NWR hasn't been strong for a while, FV in particular. That was mostly a consequence of IRDC being a much better deal for regional type racing! That said, Nationals usually seem to have good races.

That's an alarming email, but I expect next year we'll have a lot more cars at both Majors and Regionals, with the Runoffs being as close as they are :) It's up to us to keep the momentum going after that! The big resurgence up here in Mission all started with one event to celebrate Al Ores' racing career. Some people bought cheap cars specifically for that race, others rented, and they all got hooked. The resurgence in vees has brought the Formula Fords out of hiding as well, our open wheel groups have doubled in size over the last 3 years.. If you drive it, others will come ;)

Yes, yes, good idea about helping with my car! ;)
tiagosantos

Postby joekarter » July 23rd, 2013, 7:32 pm

Jim I am sorry I missed you. Yes, the five hour trip home for us means packing up and heading out as quickly as possible most of the time. And since we were the first event of the day, we were on the road really early.

I can tell you though, having just gone through the ICSCC novice program that it is a lot of fun, and very informative. I came from 28 years of karting and still learned quite a bit. All of the drivers have been very friendly and helpful when I had questions and would point me in the right direction when I was lost. Conference is really a nice place to race.

I finished my first area race on Sunday, and hope to gain my International license by the end of the season.

I have also found that the FV community is very helpful and that this forum is a wealth of knowledge. Many on here will answer your questions and give you feedback. It is too bad that there aren't a few more "club racers" here in the PNW, but maybe one day that will change.

Anyway, hopefully we will talk face to face one day and swap racing stories! If you need any help, let me know and I will tell you what I know about the process.

Tm
joekarter

Postby jphoenix » July 23rd, 2013, 11:31 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of FV, everyone I've talked to about it are very supportive and accommodating. Sure seems like a nice group out to have some fun and enjoy racing. I'd like to chat with you at dome point about your experience in the IRDC novice program.

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
jphoenix

Postby jphoenix » July 29th, 2013, 11:20 pm

So, I spent almost all day Saturday at The Ridge hanging out in the VeeHive with Brian and Craig and Jeff and Steve Saslow came by as well. I learned a lot, asked hundreds of newbie questions and took lots of photos. Craig and Jeff fed me an excellent lunch (the vntage crowd put on a nice lunch sporead!!) and I got to watch Brian tinker with his amazing FV, it's quite unique and has many interesting mods and configurations, and I got a good education on zero-roll from Steve and Brian.

Everyone was very accommodating and tolerant and the friendly group of folks cemented my decision to pursue FV as a class. Now I have to decide vintage or FV - FST is out because there are none up here. The ridge is a beautiful track with some interesting corners.

Jeff let me sit in his Lynx and I can see that my long legs and wide shoulders may have me cutting and welding on whatever I decide to buy. There are a couple of cars for sale nearby that are attractive (Steve's Womer looks great, but I suspect he'll sell it at Mission next weekend). A couple of vintage cars are also nearby and I like the low cost idea of vintage, especially for the first couple of years while I learn to drive. Cheryl Gilbert has a very Nice Caracal D for sale that caught my eye as well.

The place to be next week is Mission with lots of vees up there, but I'm going to Bremerton with the Lotus to do Club Trials. Looking forward to the spring and driving my own FV in school!

Thanks to everyone for all of the hospitality and information, I'll be flagging corners for the remainder of the year, so wave when you go by.

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
jphoenix

Previous

Return to Novice Area