Zero roll spring

Moderator: Dietmar

Re: Zero roll spring

Postby Rolling Stone » August 3rd, 2011, 9:31 am

problemchild wrote:Maybe you should pay someone $50 who is experienced, fast, and of similiar size to the driver. Like Michael or Andrew.

I know 'pay" is a dirty word.

And I thought Frank getting into the grass was going to go a different direction too.

The Bamford M2 has literally had no tweeks, updates, or adjustments in the last year. We even ran the exact same setup at Homestead on slicks. I lost my magic wand at Calabogie last year.

It's called track time! Lots of it!

"I thought Frank getting into the Grass was going a different direction too" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , I bet that went over most folks heads..Good one Greg!!
I want Kevin to try my car re:handling etc,not speed(I need a rebuild)and he gives good feedback from his experience driving Karts were he regularly beat the likes of Mike and Andy,he just needs more track time ..lots of it as you say.
Rolling Stone

Postby hojo » August 3rd, 2011, 9:40 am

i only say "have you put 2 wheels on the grass yet" simply becuase ....and i mean this as a joke more than anything...what i really mean is... are you driving the car at or near the limit of adhesion on a frequent basis? are you extracting all you can out of the car currently?

only then will you be able to discern what direction in setup you would need to go for your car and start looking at things like springs etc. if your are not on the limit or capabilities of the car any changes you make will prevent you from getting to that limit becuase theoretically you wouldnt know what it would feel like to begin with. for me I cant tell if i've reached my limits on a given corner unless i go over the limit peridocially to find out where it is. and thats what i meant about putting two wheels on the grass every now and again.

the reason i say this is because your current setup is probably more than likely adequate and spending money on parts to "upgrade" may not be the best way to be more competitive.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
hojo

Postby Rolling Stone » August 3rd, 2011, 10:05 am

hojo wrote:i only say "have you put 2 wheels on the grass yet" simply becuase ....and i mean this as a joke more than anything...what i really mean is... are you driving the car at or near the limit of adhesion on a frequent basis? are you extracting all you can out of the car currently?

only then will you be able to discern what direction in setup you would need to go for your car and start looking at things like springs etc. if your are not on the limit or capabilities of the car any changes you make will prevent you from getting to that limit becuase theoretically you wouldnt know what it would feel like to begin with. for me I cant tell if i've reached my limits on a given corner unless i go over the limit peridocially to find out where it is. and thats what i meant about putting two wheels on the grass every now and again.

the reason i say this is because your current setup is probably more than likely adequate and spending money on parts to "upgrade" may not be the best way to be more competitive.

I know what you meant Andrew,Im just kidding around,its just seat time,experience,age etc,etc Im quite happy where I am,someone has to be at the back in any class of racing 8) As I said to Greg,outlook on life/racing at 63 is different from being 23 or whatever,im just happy to be driving instead of watching from the stands.I like reading the info these expert guys give you tho,it all helps,and every little bit helps me to learn.
Rolling Stone

Postby hojo » August 3rd, 2011, 10:15 am

the site is a great wealth of information when it comes to understanding how the cars work and how to stay on top of your car if/when issues come up. chances are someone who regularly posts on here has already dealt with a similar problem in the past.

when it comes to advice on tuning and handling, because every single driver, style and car combination is different, what works for one driver wont work for another. the community can get you in the ball park but to get your combo to be at its fullest potential can only be dialed in where the actual rubber meets the road. so being out there on track fact finding will get you there sooner. and plus its way more fun than say swapping a shock out in the pits for no real reason.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
hojo

Postby problemchild » August 3rd, 2011, 10:11 pm

Frank, I'm leaving tomorrow morning. We won't run the M2 until Saturday. You're certainly welcome to inspect or measure up anything on the car, as long as you don't tell Kevin our secrets.

We're bringing a new member of our fleet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Postby kkapelke4 » August 3rd, 2011, 10:50 pm

Last edited by kkapelke4 on August 3rd, 2011, 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kkapelke4

Postby BLS » August 3rd, 2011, 10:57 pm

Greg, I take it that is a Canadian version of the FV? Looks good.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Postby problemchild » August 4th, 2011, 8:26 am

That is a Womer EV-3.

I have atleast one spare set of wheels and tires to lend out if any American FV racers want to give F1200 a shot. That might get us to the twenty car level. Three events remain .... Sept 4 and 18, Oct 2 weekends.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Postby BLS » August 4th, 2011, 9:20 am

I recognize the Womer. Just wasn't sure what the sanctioning body was. I take it that it is Canadian F1200 with those wheels and tires?
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Postby Rolling Stone » August 4th, 2011, 9:27 am

Nice looking Car,looks like it will be a front runner!!!!Watch out MIKE,ANDREW etc :shock: Good to see NOEL & DAVID will be racing this W/end :lol:
Rolling Stone

Postby problemchild » August 4th, 2011, 9:30 am

Ontario Region CASC F1200
30 yr anniversary of switch to 13" wheels with BFG TAs. Never looked back .... now on Falken tires on 14" Diamond Racing Wheels.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Postby tiagosantos » August 4th, 2011, 10:30 am

Wondering how big a difference the tires make.. Anyone know the average cornering forces with the falkens?
tiagosantos

Postby hojo » August 4th, 2011, 11:13 am

i would say these tires are about 4-5 secs per lap slower than hoosiers at mosport. a lot of it is due to grip, but a portion of it is also the drag of a larger footprint in the air stream, higher unsprung weight plus taller tire = more resistance and friction for weeee HP to overcome.

running them for the first time at shannonville i was rather amazed at how hot these tires get. mind you it was in the 40C range with the humidex, but i was not expecting so much tire temp to be genreated.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
hojo

Postby G.B. » August 4th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Greg,

Is this the car that started life as an FST and was converted to a FV a year or so ago?

Guy.
G.B.

Postby Ed Womer » August 5th, 2011, 7:28 am

That is the car I built for Rob Howden for his now defunct formula car Mag. He sold it last year to a guy in the keys in Florida and he sold shortly after that and Greg's coustomer bought. A lot of people besides myself donated parts and time to build the car which was featured in a series of stories in the mag. as it was built.

Ed
Ed Womer

Previous

Return to Novice Area