Fuel bladder/cell

Moderator: Dietmar

Fuel bladder/cell

Postby Rolling Stone » July 18th, 2011, 3:56 pm

I need a new bladder/cell,seen a few on the internet but width is a problem,Mine has to be no more than 13 1/2" wide,and a wedge shape..4 gallon,any input on suppliers please?Thought I had found the perfect one on the web,a Formula Road Race Cell CB400 for only $407:50 but its 17 1/4" wide :cry: ..same with one by ATL @ $ 596:20 4 Gall but it was 15" wide :shock: ..Thanx in advance for any input.
Rolling Stone

Re: Fuel bladder/cell

Postby tiagosantos » July 18th, 2011, 4:42 pm

You'll most likely need a new custom fuel cell.. When I checked last year, I was quoted about $800 for a custom cell from Fuel Safe..
tiagosantos

Postby SR Racing » July 19th, 2011, 5:59 pm

We carry the ATL FC-152, but it is 14" wide. You will probably have to go custom. We can get them but it will be in the $700+ range I suspect.
SR Racing

Postby Rolling Stone » July 19th, 2011, 6:48 pm

SR Racing wrote:We carry the ATL FC-152, but it is 14" wide. You will probably have to go custom. We can get them but it will be in the $700+ range I suspect.

Yep! It looks like a custom job,my floor is actually 14" (Mysterian M2)and I looked at the ATL FC-152,but it might be a bit tight kinda thing,pity as its only $640,custom one is going to be $800+ :shock: :roll:
Rolling Stone

Postby SR Racing » July 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm

No. the FC-152 is much less than that from me. Don't purchase directly from ATL or Fuel Safe. The authorized resellers are usually less. The manufacturers always sell at the Suggested retail or MAP price.
SR Racing

Postby G.B. » July 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Have a careful read of the regulations.

SCCA GCR states that a fuel cell must be ‘FIA FT3 certified’, this basically means your options are ATL or Fuel Safe.

However CASC regulations state the fuel cell must be manufactured to FIA FT3 regulations or better. Crucially, they do not mention ‘certified’ FT3 containers. This opens up rotary moulded containers such as those made by Jaz, which are much cheaper and less prone to leaking.

Example:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/ ... tId=758786

These cells still need to be contained within 0.060” thick aluminium container, so that cost will have to factored into your costing. So if you do not intend running in the USA, this may be a viable option.
G.B.

Postby Rolling Stone » July 20th, 2011, 9:20 am

G.B. wrote:Have a careful read of the regulations.

SCCA GCR states that a fuel cell must be ‘FIA FT3 certified’, this basically means your options are ATL or Fuel Safe.

However CASC regulations state the fuel cell must be manufactured to FIA FT3 regulations or better. Crucially, they do not mention ‘certified’ FT3 containers. This opens up rotary moulded containers such as those made by Jaz, which are much cheaper and less prone to leaking.

Example:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/ ... tId=758786

These cells still need to be contained within 0.060” thick aluminium container, so that cost will have to factored into your costing. So if you do not intend running in the USA, this may be a viable option.

Guy,
So are you saying I could legally use the JEGS cell in the picture you posted as long as I contain it in 0.060" aluminium container??As I only race in Ontario,not the USA.
Frank #87
Rolling Stone

Postby problemchild » July 20th, 2011, 11:39 am

Yes, that is the situation, as I understand it anyway.

Because it makes so much sense as an effective cost-saving tool, someone will probably want to change it before long.

For the length of the Cdn races, a container picking up 2 gallons of fuel, is probably adequate.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Postby Rolling Stone » July 20th, 2011, 11:51 am

Spoke to Bill Vallis and he said its still legal in Canada ,so thats the way I am going,plus an Aluminum container...Hope they dont change the rule to soon Greg :mrgreen: :shock: Approx cost will be$250 instead of $800..blimey!!!thats an engine rebuild(Thats next :lol: )Tired engine,I need another 10KPH and a bottle of courage.
Rolling Stone

Postby hojo » July 20th, 2011, 1:09 pm

frank, fix one leak another one pops up! you can never have enough fingers to plug all the "holes in the bucket" that are vees.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
hojo

Postby Rolling Stone » July 20th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Yes!Got all excited when Bill found the oil leak reason and it was fixed.....then go to the mock grid for the last race and Marshall tells me I have a fuel leak :evil: :mrgreen: Still!!First time video on GO-Pro has come out great!!wonderful learning tool too,I lent it to Kevin for last race and his video is great too,gotta figure out how to put it on YOU-TUBE next.
Rolling Stone

Postby G.B. » July 20th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Another thought. The Jaz cell I used a few years ago, didn’t have a roll over air vent, i.e. a self sealing air vent, which closes should the car roll over. Your old cell may have one or you may have to buy that separately, another $30 or so.
G.B.

Postby Dave » July 21st, 2011, 12:56 am

Send your cell to hartwig for repair. They are reasonable and can repair all most any cell. They are in Canada
Dave
Dave

Postby tiagosantos » July 21st, 2011, 2:31 am

For all the recommendations that Hartwig gets, I must have been really unlucky. Sent my cell to them as I noticed a leak before a race I really wanted to do and didn't have enough time for a custom cell. Cost me a little over $650 to repair my cell, plus shipping both ways, ended up costing me almost 800 bucks. Which is about the price of a custom cell! Oh, that doesn't include foam either, they quoted me another $200 if I wanted to get foam through them.

The repaired cell started leaking again 2 months later.. Their warranty covered the second repair, but it cost me another 70 bucks to get it there.
tiagosantos

Postby Rolling Stone » July 21st, 2011, 9:57 am

Dave wrote:Send your cell to hartwig for repair. They are reasonable and can repair all most any cell. They are in Canada
Dave

Bladder is beyond repair..it was made in 1995(Fuel Safe)they were impressed to say the least :P I have ordered a 3 Gall cell and will enclose it in Aluminum as we can use them in Ontario 8) Total will be approx $300 instead of $800+ :shock:
Rolling Stone

Next

Return to Novice Area