April 2, 2017
The FV Advisory Committee appreciates the FV Community wanting us to post what we have been working on since we started as a new official Committee in September. We’ll try to get messages like this one out with some regularity.
The FV Advisory Committee Members:
Below is a list of topics and issues that we have addressed since starting in September:
1. With regard to a Spec Tire in FV - #20620 : After several discussions, the Committee recommended to the CRB that further testing was needed and that would precede the development of a plan for implementation for the 2018 racing season. The CRB approved this recommendation.
2. With regard to Letter #19589 – ICP Spindles: The letter writer felt that the current GCR did not allow for the ICP spindles and wanted to see wording reinstated allowing them.
The Committee informed the CRB that it was our opinion that the current rules support the use of the ICP spindles. The CRB accepted this determination.
3. With regard to letter #19972 Valve Seat Repair/Replacement: This request asked for a rule change allowing increased O.D. and depth of replacement valve seats to help extend the life of the VW heads.
The Committee researched this and recommended to the CRB that this request be approved. The CRB approved this recommendation. The details are in the January 2017 Fastrack. The CRB recommended (March 2017 Fastrack) this rule change to be effective 6/1/2017.
4. With regard to Letter #19287 Requesting the use of an electric control valve on an Accusump system/chamber when used on a Formula Vee:
The Committee determined that this was reasonable, and recommended to the CRB wording changes for the rules to support the use of an electric control valve. The CRB approved this recommendation. The details are also in the January 2017 Fastrack.
5. With regard to Letter #20133 - Clarify FV Intake Manifold Language:
The issue here was that there was a revised wording during 2016 to GCR section 9.1.1.C.5.D.20.d that was not clear, and the rule could be interpreted in different ways with this wording. The Committee agreed with this and came up with a recommendation to the CRB for revised wording to make it easier to interpret the rule the way it was intended. The CRB approved this recommendation. The details are in the April 2017 Fastrack.
Topics currently being addressed by the Committee:
1. Spec Tire: Testing and implementation plan.
2. Intake Manifolds: Discussing ways to simplify the testing/measuring for compliance in support of the current rules.
Do you have a question, recommendation, or issue you would like to have addressed?
Please remember, that the official way for a member to have an issue considered and addressed is to go to the official SCCA web site and write a letter to the CRB. As you can see from the above, this works - these get put onto our docket to be addressed at a Committee meeting.
Although the Committee can raise and discuss issues on their own, or as a result of a discussion by a member, the official and best way is the letter to the CRB. However, please do not hesitate to contact a Committee member to bring up an issue and get their opinion on how best to proceed, or just to get to know each other. This really helps us do our job.
Although it may not be monthly, we do plan to continue posting like this on a more regular basis.
The FV Advisory Committee