Improve the search engine

Improve the search engine

Postby jstoezel » April 28th, 2011, 10:19 pm

The search engine in this forum is useless, you can't search for "front shock" as these words are supposedly too common and will abort the search. Even specific searches like "+front +shock" fail.

This is somehow disappointing as many good discussions have happened in the past, and are virtually unaccessible, unless you browse each and every post to find them.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
jstoezel

Re: Improve the search engine

Postby bill_browne » November 21st, 2011, 10:30 pm

Agreed. Try searching "z bar". Useless.
bill_browne

Postby SR Racing » November 22nd, 2011, 12:42 pm

Agreed, but the owners of this board (Rob Howden) have no control over that. They simply license it from phpBB. It is a common problem on many boards. I don't think the board parameters that Rob has control over can help.
SR Racing

Postby tiagosantos » November 22nd, 2011, 2:12 pm

I usually get around bad forum search engines by using google - try this in google:

site:apexspeed.com "z bar"

But I could never get it to work with formulavee.org! I think somehow the forum is blocking the google bots from doing their thing. That might be a good improvement, let them do the searching for us..
tiagosantos

Postby FV80 » November 23rd, 2011, 10:09 am

FWIW, I discovered that you can search for a single word effectively by adding "*" to the end of the word. e.g. front* or shock* . You can also use front shock* - but it finds all(?) occurrences of either word - not the combo. (and for some strange reason, Jean's post to start this thread does NOT show up in the 'found' items.) I was unable to manufacture a way to combine more than one word and have it work properly. Adding quotes seems to kill the search completely. Adding single quotes ' kills the highlighting of the found word ... but I find no use for it.

At least it's a method to get SOME useful threads.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge, FV80
To sign up in the FV Registry for updates about SCCA Formula Vee, please send me an email or PM with your name, location (city/state), make/model of car, phone # and any other appropriate info.
FV80

Postby BLS » November 23rd, 2011, 12:02 pm

Steve, I found that it sometimes works and others I get the dreaded "too common" reply. I'll try your suggestion.I was never sure why it would sometimes give me a good result and most of the time not...
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Return to Improvements