Improve the search engine

Improve the search engine

Postby jstoezel » April 28th, 2011, 10:19 pm

The search engine in this forum is useless, you can't search for "front shock" as these words are supposedly too common and will abort the search. Even specific searches like "+front +shock" fail.

This is somehow disappointing as many good discussions have happened in the past, and are virtually unaccessible, unless you browse each and every post to find them.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
jstoezel

Re: Improve the search engine

Postby bill_browne » November 21st, 2011, 10:30 pm

Agreed. Try searching "z bar". Useless.
bill_browne

Postby SR Racing » November 22nd, 2011, 12:42 pm

Agreed, but the owners of this board (Rob Howden) have no control over that. They simply license it from phpBB. It is a common problem on many boards. I don't think the board parameters that Rob has control over can help.
SR Racing

Postby tiagosantos » November 22nd, 2011, 2:12 pm

I usually get around bad forum search engines by using google - try this in google:

site:apexspeed.com "z bar"

But I could never get it to work with formulavee.org! I think somehow the forum is blocking the google bots from doing their thing. That might be a good improvement, let them do the searching for us..
tiagosantos

Postby FV80 » November 23rd, 2011, 10:09 am

FWIW, I discovered that you can search for a single word effectively by adding "*" to the end of the word. e.g. front* or shock* . You can also use front shock* - but it finds all(?) occurrences of either word - not the combo. (and for some strange reason, Jean's post to start this thread does NOT show up in the 'found' items.) I was unable to manufacture a way to combine more than one word and have it work properly. Adding quotes seems to kill the search completely. Adding single quotes ' kills the highlighting of the found word ... but I find no use for it.

At least it's a method to get SOME useful threads.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
To sign up in the FV Registry for updates about SCCA Formula Vee, please send me an email or PM with your name, location (city/state), make/model of car, phone # and any other appropriate info.
FV80

Postby BLS » November 23rd, 2011, 12:02 pm

Steve, I found that it sometimes works and others I get the dreaded "too common" reply. I'll try your suggestion.I was never sure why it would sometimes give me a good result and most of the time not...
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Return to Improvements